Limey Avocado Dip or Dressing
Make this dip before you're ready to use it so it will retain its attractive color. The addition of water will make it thin enough to use as a dressing.
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp lime juice (30 ml) from fresh lime
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (15 ml)
- ½ tsp chili powder(2 ml) in a pinch use cayenne but it is hotter
- ½ tsp garlic powder (2 ml) substitute 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp onion power (2 ml) substitute 2 tbsp chopped red onion
- ¼ tsp salt, or 1 teaspoon (5 ml) tamari
- 1/16 tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup water or vegetable broth, as needed optional for dressing
- Scoop the avocado flesh into a small bowl and mash it with a fork until smooth. Alternatively, mash it using an immersion blender for a smoother mixture. Stir in the lime juice, nutritional yeast, chili powder, garlic powder (or fresh crushed garlic), onion powder (or chopped red onion), salt (or tamari) and pepper. For a dressing, add just enough of the optional water to achieve the desired consistency.
- Makes 3/4 Cup (185 ml)
Serving: 2tbspCalories: 59calCarbohydrates: 4gProtein: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gSodium: 105mgFiber: 2gCalcium: 6mg
The kick diabetes cookbook: an action plan and recipes for defeating diabetes. Brenda Davis, RD, Vesanto Melina, MS, RD. Summertown, TN. Book Publishing Co. (2018)